Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Just to See Dar



My favorite singer/songwriter finally played a show in our neck of the woods--or almost. Dar Williams, who sings mostly at colleges, small theaters and festivals in the U.S., came to the Ottawa folk festival on a rainy Sunday in August. I sneakily bought tickets online and then announced to my hubby and daughter that we were going to Ottawa overnight. During the two-hour drive to Ottawa and upon our arrival at the festival site, I was totally excited. Like jumping-up-and-down and smile-stuck-on-my-face excited (my poor embarassed 11-year old!). As we sat in the rain awaiting Dar's 6:30 show, we alternately covered our legs with a vinyl tablecloth and an umbrella. Just before her appearance, I spotted the singer herself, guitar slung over her shoulder, peeking through the curtain opening. "There she is!" I cried, like a star-crazed fan. The man sitting to my left glanced over at me. "I love Dar Williams," I informed him. Groan. I must've sounded like an idiot. But when she finally emerged and wittily introduced and performed The Babysitter is Here, I think he got an idea of what there is to love about Dar.

Dar Williams is a contemporary folk singer and songwriter. She writes about social and political issues, relationships, love, peace, war... basically everything that makes people think and act. Her music is simple yet melodic and never fails to strike a chord with me. Perhaps because we are of the same generation or maybe we just share similar experiences. Anyhow, she's a smart, funny, thoughtful, creative and fair-thinking gal. And I drove 4 hours roundtrip, rented a hotel room and kept my hubby away from work to see her live!

So, how was the show? Well, I think I would've preferred a smoky little bar. (No smoke, on second thought.) For one meagre hour, I sang along with her beautiful songs and enjoyed her detailed introductions. But the magic of seeing such a great musician in person was missing. Was the audience too spread out to connect? Was it too minimal to just have Dar alone on stage with her guitar? Was she a new artist to many of the listeners? I don't know. Maybe it was a combination of all these things, but it seemed a let-down to me, huge fan that I am.

So, the fact that I got to speak with her after the show made the effort to be there almost worth it! (I say "almost" because I would have liked to say more, but she was obviously eager to get outta there.) As we headed back to our seats after a break--and a trip for beer and popcorn--I spotted Dar standing with a few people near the exit from backstage. She had her guitar case and a canvas army style backpack plopped on the ground next to her. Damn, I didn't have the camera. But I squeezed in a comment and asked her to please come back to Montreal (she was here last December but I couldn't make the show). She said she'd love to come if we'd have her. Maybe she meant, if there are enough people who know her and would want to see a show. I'm not so sure it will come to pass.

Maybe I should just invite her to my house. I think her audience of three would show her the appreciation she deserves!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home